Old 3rd January 2007, 05:34 AM   #1
SpeedChaser

Default Replacing a 105L Hyper

Hi Roger,

I'm looking at replacing my 2003 105L hypersonic, and I need some help. There's so much great info on these forums, and I've read a lot of posts about the hyper, the isonic, the sonic, s-type, etc. It's a little overwhelming. So I'd like some advice. I'm about 6'1" and 150lbs, pretty experienced. I want to replace it with a board to use primarily with my 7.6 and 6.6 in choppy water, 13-25knts. I don't mind, and actually enjoy, a technical ride. I do a lot of GPS sailing with those two sails so I'm looking for a very fast board that could also be used for slalom racing.

Ok...it might be obvious that the iSonic 101 would be the best choice, but I'd like an experienced opinion.

Thanks
SpeedChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 05:50 AM   #2
SpeedChaser

Default RE: Replacing a 105L Hyper

Just to add, I'd like a 2 board quiver. The board that's replacing my Hyper will be my largest board. At the moment I also have a 2005 95L Kombat but it's just too big for me as my smallest board. So I'll probably be switching to a smaller board around 74L. With that board I'll be using a 3.7, 4.5, and 5.3 in 20-35knots.

So I'd like a quiver like that:
small board around 74L
large board around 100L

Thanks
SpeedChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 01:11 PM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Sppedchaser,
I read all the replies on the "Ask the Team" forum under the same heading.
An excellent discussion for sure. And very valuable information for you.
I think Geoff's point about sailing in fresh water may be the most critical issue.
Although you are tall, you are quite light in weight, which on your fresh water lakes is a good thing, but some of the others (Steve C. is also fairly small but sails mostly salt water on the west coast I think, and Ian Fox is a very big guy, and sails on salt water in Australia), may not have the Isonic 101/ freshwater/less steady winds experience.
So, I think your decision to go for the Isonic 101 is probably the best, and I'm not sure you would get significantly better speed with the Is94.
The speed potential on any of these boards is going to be both sail and fin related, and tuning to get the most speed from the drive in the rig, and the least resistance from the fin.
I am quite sure you are going to get significantly more speed oriented TOW on the Isonic 101 in your freshwater, fluky wind conditions, and more TOW usually means a better comfort level, and along with better comfort you normally can expect better speeds.
Hope this all works out well.
R
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 10:48 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Test!
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote