Old 13th May 2010, 11:59 AM   #1
agrelon

Default X-6 Boom

Hi all,

I'm considering an X-6 boom in 160-220 cm as this covers the whole range of sails I already own and plan on owning in the future.

Has anyone tried this boom, any comments?

I like the attachable RDM shim, as currently I waste a lot of time when rigging having to rinse the shim, put it on the mast first, etc. Also, the length range of this boom is (I think) the longest on the market.

Any comments would be appreciated.

(This will be my first real investment in a boom, as I've currently been sawing up and fixing one I picked up at the beach for 15USDs, which I've made a one piece now to try and gain some rigidity, which sucks for travelling and only works on one sail.)
Old 13th May 2010, 04:54 PM   #2
Unregistered - Nico

Don't know about the NP booms quality, but I can say that nowaday almost all brands sells booms with 60 cm extension.
I don't like so much the NP maketing style, as I still have a NP 57 cm carbon base extension full of written warnings about the dangers of using it with other brand products... Used for may years with a cheap NS mast and no problem at all. Second, the older boom calmps of NP looked very poor with their plastic and economic system (don't know now).
Here in Italy, but also in all Europe has a well reputation the italian Tecnolimits, that is a brand born many years ago right producing ONLY their own booms (it's a specialized factory of alloy products also outside our sport - now they also sell masts). Here the King Revolution Ergal model is known as one of the best booms available, and the fact that also Hotsails.de sells it in Germany and outside can be a witness of his quality.
Old 13th May 2010, 06:01 PM   #3
agrelon

Ok. Well I've just ordered mine earlier. I think one reason NP markets their products as you say is to ensure that people get the desired performance out of their products, and the only way to do this is to warn people that not using homogeneous parts could be a problem.

I don't see why/how it won't be really good, especially when I'm paying top dollar. We'll see soon enough.
Old 13th May 2010, 06:46 PM   #4
Unregistered

I don't wanna say NP are bad products, I have not much simpaty in the brand, but it's only personal experience and feeling.
Regarding boom it depends from the quality, and I'm sure that the X6 that is the NP middle line has to be (VERY) good. Pheraphs you have had to pay little more for the brand name and so sponsorships-marketing- etc, but if this isn't a problem for you, no matter.
Have good wind and share your experiences with your new boom.
Old 13th May 2010, 07:55 PM   #5
agrelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't wanna say NP are bad products, I have not much simpaty in the brand, but it's only personal experience and feeling.
Regarding boom it depends from the quality, and I'm sure that the X6 that is the NP middle line has to be (VERY) good. Pheraphs you have had to pay little more for the brand name and so sponsorships-marketing- etc, but if this isn't a problem for you, no matter.
Have good wind and share your experiences with your new boom.
Yes. I am a victim of Neilpryde and Starboard marketing, I don't deny it. For the moment I'm ecstatic about my Futura and don't at all regret my selling my JP to buy it. The 2 Neilpryde products I already own have served me well and are still going strong after 2 years (harness and wetsuit).

I will share my impressions of the boom as soon as I sail it. Last outing I used a Windsurfing Hawaii aluminium which already felt quite stiff compared to my current boom, so I'll have that to compare with.
Old 14th May 2010, 11:35 AM   #6
agrelon

Just received the boom and it's looking good, nice and stiff. I'm just wondering how I should thread the outhaul (my old boom was quite a different design)....

I know that the pressure should be about even on the top and bottom part of the outhaul in order to even out the pressure but I'm not quite sure on how to achieve this. Any tips? (I checked out the NP rigging videos but it's hard to tell exactly what they're doing with the outhaul ropes).

Thanks.
Old 14th May 2010, 02:07 PM   #7
morten.g

Hi
I'm a Starboard fan and I used to be a NP fan , but now I'm a GunSails fan. Look at the prices, no one can compete with Gun. You buy straight from the factory (Atleast in Europe) www.gunsails.de

Morten

iSonic 122, 94 and Evo 80
Gunsails: Mega MS 8.1, 6.9 , Torro 6.0, Future 5.7 and Steel 5.0, 4.5 and 4.0
Gun masts and booms
morten.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 04:29 PM   #8
agrelon

Indeed their prices are quite competitive and the design looks good. So through their website I can order a sail and have it sent to France?
Old 15th May 2010, 06:01 AM   #9
morten.g

That's right, the goods will be delivered to your door, it's always been UPS that has delivered my stuff. It's free freight in may, but you can always see the freight costs before you order. In december they had 20% off on almost everything, Gun have a lot campaigns.
morten.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 05:21 PM   #10
agrelon

The boom is super stiff on the water, even using on an RDM mast with the shim. Plus, my hands don't hurt right now like they usually do after a session (where my palms and fingers become sensitive to sharp/rough objects) so the grip/diameter must suit me better.

Only down side is the boom "clicks" as there is a bit of play in the extension/main tubing. Not sure if this also happens on other booms, didn't on my old one but then again I had screwed that one together at a fixed length...