Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 1st June 2010, 04:15 PM   #1
Meyersurf

Default Which waveboard to choose

Hi all!

I am going to buy a new waveboard and would be happy to here your advice. I am 88kg and have experienced some decades of being windsurfing addicted.

In former times I sailed "real" waveboards with 75 l and 50-54 width. Than I switched to a Freewave Board with 78 liter (Fanatic) and now I miss the 100% secure feeling in highwind and turning abilities. Usally I prefer to sail powered up and thus use bigger sails than other riders but at the same time use smale boards. Mostly I sail at baltic sea with low power smale waves (?mushy?) which were generate by the wind (side to cross on shore).

My bigger board is a Freewave 96 l with 62 width which I like to use with 6.5 and 5.7. Unfortunatly I also have to update my Sail quiver and I am planning (please also give advice if this seems not sensefull) to go for 5.0 / 4.5 /4.1 (last one has not seen much use in the past years). Currently I use 5.7 with both the 96 and the 78 FSW board.

I am very confused with the new types of waveboard and I have no testing opportunity available here. So please give me your thoughts ... Quad 76???

Thank you and sorry for long reading!

CHristian
Meyersurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Hi Christian

A Kode 80 would be the most similar to your FSW 78 in planing, speed, and general feel with with SIGNIFICANTLY better high wind wave performance and a more secure feeling at speed.

But if you're also after better turning at lower speed and "bad" waves, a Quad is what I would recommend. And at 88 kilos, I think the Q76 will be small enough even though it's a rather wide board. I think you will be blown away with how easy and effective is is when wave riding.

Sails: It's very individual. I think you will find the 5.7 working OK on the Q76 too so you can then safely go for 5.0 and the 4.5+ smaller if you need. An alternative would be to add 5.3/4.7/4.2 to the 5.7/6.5. The advantage would be a better possibility for fine tuning in the medium wind range. And at your weight the Q76 will after all be a bit more natural with a 5.3 than a 5.7, so 5.3 instead of 5.0 would mean more and better time on the Q76 instead of the big FSW, I figure.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Meyersurf

Thank you for sound advice!

I think I will give the Quad a try - still concerned about 57.5 width in force 6 or 7 weather but curious enough about the new concept...

All the best

Christian
Meyersurf is offline   Reply With Quote