Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 9th January 2007, 12:42 AM   #1
eli villalabeitia

Default bigger fin on carve 144l 07

I want some help regarding fin size and using a sail a smaller than 8.5.
I would like to sail more often with my jet 7.2 sail instead 8.5 sprit in low wind, 8 to 15 knots. the carve 144 2007 comes with a 490 drake fin, and the question would be if a 540 fin would allow me plane with the 7,2. I am 80 kgs and on the straps, perfecting jibes
many thanks
Eli
eli villalabeitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 01:24 AM   #2
steveC

Default RE: bigger fin on carve 144l 07

Hi eli,

Given no response to date from the Starboard Team, I thought I might offer a quick thought or two. While I have to frank about lack of any actual experience with the Carve 144, I noted that the 2007 model is spec'ed around fin sizes in the 42-54cm range. The general rule of thumb indicates that smaller fins work best with smaller sails, and conversely larger fins work best with larger sails. Now, there is quite a bit flexibility possible to satisfy personal preferences, so really, one needs to experiment a bit. Sometimes it's best to borrow different fins from friends to learn more about what can be gained or lost through use of different sizes. Buying new high quality fins can be quite expensive, so its best to test a bit before making the investment. Really, it doesn't hurt to ask your local retailer if they have a demo policy. You might be pleasantly surprised.

In your current scenario, I would say that a 54 cm fin would work better with the 8.5 than the 7.2. Although some folks may view a 54 to be on the large size for the 8.5, in the lower wind ranges you will probably find it helps greatly with early planing. With respect to the 7.2 in lighter winds, I would expect the optimum fin size would most likely range between 46-48cm.

Again, I would highly recommend testing different sized fins to see what you like best.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 02:11 AM   #3
eli villalabeitia

thanks Steve
What i am trying to know if in marginal to light wind a bigger fin would do the trick to sail with a samller sail, because the gap between 7,2 and 8,5 means carrying two different masts, the weigth and handling is different and as i am trying to perfect jibes and waterstarts i need smaller sails, i can not change the conditions of the spot besides i am an old learner, 45y, and every bit of energy counts.
Thank again
Eli
Old 10th January 2007, 03:53 AM   #4
Phill104

Until recently I had a carve 144 which I used as my lightwind board but I now use an iSonic instead. I really enjoyed the 144 and found the drake 490 an excellent fin and got me going easilly (I'm 86kg at the moment). I doubt however, that a bigger fin will help you much with the 7.2. When the 7.2 gets powered up you may find that a 54 is too big.

I found that using a different model fin in a similar size helped early planing but working on my technique had the biggest effect. I found that by having little battles with my peers really improved my sailing in all areas.

I would try and borrow a different fin and see if that helps you before investing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 10:12 AM   #5
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Eli,

I would agree with Phill and Steve's coments as above. While it's possible to use (and gain some minor low end range) benefit with a larger fin (say~52/55cm) on the C144 with 7.2m, for sure the main (and potentially marginal over stock or similar size fin) benefit will come when the larger fin is used together with the largest sail(8,5) combo.

It's important to note if you're feeling your way with fin selection /tuning etc that the Carves (with a narrower tail and stance) have a more reactive and playful ride, but don't handle bigger fins as well as (say...) similar volume (sized) boards like iSonic or F-Types etc.

Please let us know if you have any more questions or requests for this, or any other tuning etc.

Have fun ! Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 11:59 PM   #6
steveC

Hi Eli,

I'm glad to see that you've gotten some solid input from Phill and Ian, especially since they're offering first hand experience with Carve 144.

In light of your second post above, I thought I would add a few more comments. It's great that you haven't let your age be a limiting factor in your activities. I'm in my late 50s, and I can assure you that windsurfing is a spirited sport that you can pursue and still excel at far beyond the limits of youth. Windsurfing is kind of like snow skiing, where the development of basic skills can allow you to experience the excitement and challenge of physical fun late in life.

Regarding your learning curve, Phill identified a very important point. Working on your technique will allow you to reap the greatest rewards. Combine this with a bit of friendly competition, and its surprising how it will combine to enhance your improvement curve. Also, I think that if you hang tough on the 8.5 for your light wind sailing, you will find that it tightens up your timing and skills tremendously. This will show itself readily when you drop down the 7.2 in stronger conditions.

Lastly, I have found that many folks tend to balk a bit about bringing all of their equipment to the beach. I don't know how many times I've heard the comment that their day would have been better if they brought this or that to the beach. I know that limits are sometimes a reality, but from my point of view, it's critical to always bring your light wind stuff. More often than not, light winds are our fate, and its best to be prepared.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 01:39 AM   #7
eli villalabeitia

Thaks to all, it has been very ecouraging for me, I will keep trying and experiment different setups. Though it seems clear that i will have to keep the 8.5 for ligth days.
Thanks again