Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 20th July 2010, 06:20 PM   #1
racerX

Default Replacement fins for 2010 quad

I have a 2010 quad 76 that I got a few months ago, due to bit of bad luck its only been wet once.

Where can I get some replacement fins? With the release of the 2011 boards, it seems to the mini-tuttle/surfinz combination is dead so I would like to get some replacement fins so that I have at least a spare set before they get difficult to source.

Will starboard continue to support the mini-tuttle/surfinz combination as it appears that it is unique and I have not seen any third party fin maker offer anything as an after market replacement?

I would be happy with a spare set of stock 15/11 fins, but would be interested in what other options I might have.

I am glad that I went for the quad convertible...

Last edited by racerX; 20th July 2010 at 06:22 PM.
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 12:15 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

I suppose there will be stock for a while ( I just personally ordered some 2010 fins so I know they are in stock now). But if eventually Starboard stop making replacements (surfinz) rear boxes take regular fcs (surf) so you have almost limitless choices, including the same style as the original fins. The fcs standard will not disappear any time soon.

For the MT front boxes you will also have many choices even if you would not be able to get Starboard fins. Aftermarket brands like Chokko, MFC, MUFins and other smaller brands make fins for this standard, albeit not n the same style/size as the Starboard fins. Witchcraft use MT for their front fins and although I prefer the original fins over the Whitchcraft one in my Quads, the WC fins come in the right sizes and will work (some even prefer them). And if worse comes to worse you can quite easily cut and re-mould a US (or slotbox) fin to fit a MT box. So I reckon you will be covered for the foreseeable future.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 06:13 PM   #3
racerX

Thanks for that. Also got a reply for MUF ultra fins, they make a set of 14.5/11.5 x-wave that would suit.

Any experience with that those fins in the quad 76?
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 08:56 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

Awesome fins the MUFs and I used them in various boards including quads albeit not as front fins. And my guess would in fact be that the xtwins are not the favoured type of fin for working that well as big fins in the front position. My other experimentation has shown that flexier fin up front will keep the board more predictable. But in the back position xtwins and also their elliptical fin work great. If you want to go with MUF for the front set too, I'd try to get them to make their more regular "c-wave" in something like 14cm and then maybe 10 elliptic or 11.5 x-wave in the back.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote