Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 26th July 2010, 01:33 AM   #1
Chesapeake

Default Alternate fins for 2010 Quad

In looking at the new Quads, I'm interested in trying some alternative fin options in my 2010 Quad. What is the maximum size fin a Surfinz box can take?
Chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

I wouldn't go much bigger than the 12cm. 13 maybe. In what way would you like the trim the character of the board?
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 11:09 PM   #3
Chesapeake

Ola,

The fin configuration for small waves and general bump and jump conditions work well for me. In underpowered to powered conditions, I've been able to carve some really tight arcs to work on-shore waves. However, I've had a few sessions with shoulder high waves (both side-on and side) in which the drive and speed in the bottom turn, put me out too far in front of the wave to effect a cutback. It is typical of east coast waves to be slow and close-out fast which demands a tight bottom turn in order to enjoy the wave.

To me it feels like the front fins are pushing back too much, keeping me from tightening up the turn. My approach is to balance out the fins somewhat by reducing front fin size and increasing rear fin size.

I'm open to your opinion on the matter.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 28th July 2010, 01:28 AM   #4
w0uter

I just bought the 13 cm front fins haven't tried them yet ? what should I expect ? will the board have the same drive ? will it be easier to make the board slide ?

let's pray for big wind !
w0uter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 04:16 AM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

Chesapeake: It's indeed a board with a lot of drive and the bigger the board, the more "on it" you have to be in good conditions. But I'd say that you would have a good chance of getting to grips with the drive by getting a pair o 13cm Quad front fins. These are a little bit different than the 16cm fins in shape, so they keep the center of effort at a good spot and also are not as much smaller in area as the size difference might indicate, but the smaller depth still make the whole board softer in its character and downtunes the drive a little bit. Pushing the rear fins further forward int he box might also help since that makes the fin cluster as a whole less powerful. But you're still dealing with a board with a fair bit of drive so and one way of dealing with it in better waves is to get used to it in less good waves and really learn to use it to your advantage. By pushing it in "bad" stuff (which most of us get much more often than the golden stuff) and really try to milk drive and speed out of the wave you will not only have more fun but also be more prepared for the good days. Another thing to work on with the technique (in fast waves) is to try to resist the temptation to "coast" a bit before entering the bottom turn. Often that feels safer, but by instead going into the bottom turn earlier you will set yourself up much better for turning tight since you are already in the turn before you get up to max speed. To do this successfully, it helps if you just at the turn entry put a bit of downward mast foot pressure on to set the front rail of the board. Not only does this work well with this particular board, but it puts you in a good position to handle speed and chop through the turn. So right at the top of the wave when entering your bottom turn, bend you knees a bit and sort of "crouch" forwards and keep your elbows down. These technique tip is something you of course can try even before getting the smaller fins.

Please report back and tell us how things proceed.
Old 28th July 2010, 04:50 AM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

w0uter: The board will still be grippy and drivey, but with a sort of softer and more forgiving sensation too it. I'd say that it mostly takes the edge off the powerfull feel of the board and in critical conditions that gives you some extra time and margins of error to sail it effectively. I wouldn't say it get much easier to tail slide it. A little, but you still have a lot of grip once you set it into a proper top turn. It will generally not slide by if hte sailor just pushes sideways. If you want to slide the tail, a more "classic" technique from te good old single fin times works better. Essentially, you'd want to unload the tail and whip it around. If you want to get into the fine print of that, I'd say a kay issue is how you move your shoulders in the turn. For a good carve, you look where you want to turn and then let your shoulders twist off in that direction (hands closer together on the boom helps). If you want to produce a slide you can lock up the upper body by keeping your shoulders more square with the boom (sometimes keeping your rear hand further back helps achieving this). But to make it work you must also keep your weight over the front foot. For sure, a planned and controlled slide is a more difficult move on these Quads than on a twin fin (where sliding a bit is rather the rule than the exception).
Old 28th July 2010, 06:05 PM   #7
racerX

What is the maximum size fin a Surfinz box can take?

I am also curious about this, given my understanding that this board shape started life as a twin. Is the surfinz box strong enough to support a convential twin fin setup, either using future or fcs, or are the boxes in the wrong place.
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 06:47 PM   #8
Ola_H
TEAM

I dont think the box, not the tabs on the fcs fins are strong enough for a twin setup. And the boxes would not be in a very good place for a twin setup anyway. If you have a board you want to experiment with, the easiest would be to put in a set of slot boxes in the rear and maybe even in the front too while your at it). The problem might be finding the slot boxes. Of course, you could put in US-boxes too, but then you'd add some serious weight and the installation itself is much more work.
Old 28th July 2010, 07:44 PM   #9
racerX

No don't wont to experiment with modifying the board, was just curous if it could work as a twin with the right sort of fins. Thanks
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 10:19 PM   #10
Chesapeake

Ola,

Thank you for your advice. I'll review your post again before my next wave session and report back to you on my experiences.

I am a bit surprised your recommendation to limit the rear fins to 13cm, given that standard FCS fins come in sizes over 15cm (e.g. MR '78 Asymmetric Twin Fins). I realize that windsurfing a board increases the fin pressure over just surfing, but I thought the Surfinz box was chosen for its strength in addition to its weight and adjustability benefits. I can understand if you are trying to being conservative in your answer. Is there any experiences during the Quad development that would shed any light on the situation?