Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 9th January 2007, 10:28 AM   #1
tuffbuff

Default free formula 158 vs 155 isonic????

Please explian expected differences in these boards, performance and range???
Thanks
tuffbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 06:12 PM   #2
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Default RE: free formula 158 vs 155 isonic????

FF158 has earlier planing, better ability upwind (or at semi FW extreme angles both upwind and downwind, especially in marginal conditions) and will carry larger sails and fins more effectively.

iS155 has better top speed and extended top end range over FF158. IS155 is easier thru chop at speed, has a better jibe and is somewhat lighter in both weight and reactive ride.

Please let us know if you would like further specific info.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 06:54 PM   #3
Jerome

I Ian,
I got an IS155 wood some month ago.
And I (90kg) wonder what fin would I Have to choose to improve lightwind with a 10m?? RSS.
In fact when there is enough wind to use 9m?? the stocked fin is good but when I use the board with my 10m?? I spin out a lot and I don't fill some gain in early planing.
So thanks for your advise
Jerome
Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 09:48 AM   #4
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Jerome,

Especially because of it's "slalom" orientation, rather than FW etc, the larger iS boards are supplied with a medium (maybe "average" is a good way to describe) size/range fin (relative to their board size/intended range), rather than the fin that gives the best bottom end.

So it's logical that especially a heavier rider can add some marginal conditions/lighter wind performance to the iS155 by tuning with more fin ; for a 90kg rider and 10-11m sails, take a race fin in the range 60 to 65(max). If the wind comes up a bit when you are out on the 10m, then it would be OK to change down the fin to the stock 56 (as a half step before having to change down the sail to 9m). Obviously the ride will stiffen up a bit, the slalom feel/jibe etc will go further towrds "free formula" feel - but you'll have more bottom end performance overall- which is what you want in those conditions.

Also in general, try and refine the early planing technique to get the board speed up a little bit higher before (progressively) loading the fin with load (increasing the load also progressively, with board speed). This might sound a bit like the "chicken and egg" situation (cant go faster until you can put on load) but with a little practice, it's a good technique to develop. Not just for maximum size gear, but for getting smaller gear going even in (marginal) higher wind conditions. A further tip here is to avoid trying to pinch the board up high/tight to the wind too early (in it's marginal planing speed range) - rather keep the board headed a little bit broad/downwind (just a bit) as you accelerate, then as the speed comes up, the load can come on the fin (more) and your angle can come up higher towards the wind.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote