Old 10th January 2007, 10:46 PM   #1
Han

Default 6.2 vs 6.9 planning threshold

Hi,

my biggest sail at the moment for a 107 l freewave board is a 6.2

Will I get significant improvement on early planning side buying a 6.9/7.0 rig? About how many knots?

Thanks!
Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 03:28 AM   #2
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Default RE: 6.2 vs 6.9 planning threshold

Hi,

Are you talking about the Fanatic freewave boar?

I don't think that you will get enough improvement if you go that big.

I would say go for a 6.6 but a 7.0 will might be to big on a freewave board.

I would like to know your weight..?

Taty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taty Frans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 01:27 PM   #3
Han

Hi Taty,

the board is a Tabou 3S107 LTD, my weight 73kg
The target is improving basic skills: fast tack, gybing, helitack, 360, clew first, jumping, so on..

Thanks!
Old 11th January 2007, 09:41 PM   #4
Han

By the way, going beyond.. considering to rebuild my sails quiver to 6.9 5.8 4.7 4.2, for this 107 board and for a 85l wave board.

Maybe a little minimalist.. but probably good enough? What do you think?
I do not like to hesitate at the time of rigging the sail.. you know.. with this gaps between the sails sizes it will be pretty clear which size to use at each time, won't it?

thanks!
Old 11th January 2007, 11:46 PM   #5
steveC

Hi Han,

Have you thought about getting a 5.0 in place of the 4.7? I go from 4.2 to 5.0 and find the spacing truly optimum. Years ago I did the 4.2, 4.7, 5.2 and 5.7 thing, but todays sails are so much more rangy, making it realistic to minimize your quiver. Otherwise, you've got a pretty sound plan that mirrors my most used sails (4.2, 5.0, 5.75, 7.0 and 8.3). I have a brand new 6.3 that is 2 years old now that I have never really used, so I can readily understand your desire to jump from the 5.8 to a 6.9. However, Taty does have a point about using a 6.9 on a freewave type of board, but I'm unfamiliar with Tabou 3S line. The fact that the board is 107 liters does open the door a bit, as long as the sail is light and camberless.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 01:38 AM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

Han, I don't know the 3S so well and it _will_ depend a lot on the particular shape. 6.9 is probably on the edge of what is effective and you will need a fin to go with it. I would guess that despite worse handling and a bit of a bogged down board, you will be able to plane a bit earlier (cant quantify in knots though).

As Steve says, smaller quivers/bigger spacing works finw with modern sails, but I don't agree it make choosing sails any easier. There will be times when one is small and the next one feels big and then choosing the wrong one will have a big impact on how much fun you will have. With more sails, choosing the wrong one will not make that much a difference.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 09:24 AM   #7
steveC

Ola's raised a very valid point in his comments. While I didn't mention it in my post above, I have a new 5.6 on order. Although I will keep the 5.75, the 5.6 will be perfect for my biggest B&J/wave board. In reality, the 5.75 is too big for that board, and I wanted a more suitable size. The bigger sail has got a much longer boom that has now been refined a bit more into a slightly smaller size that incorporates a higher aspect planform with a significantly shorter boom length. Having sails so close together doesn't always mean something out of line or wasteful. Really, I have quite a few boards that can take advantage of these two very similarly sized sails. Kind of like investing in different sail concepts, like wave versus slalom designs. A proper blend of things can make everything perfect.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote