Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 26th August 2010, 04:28 AM   #1
lary

Default Kode 74 and high wind

Regarding to you,
What is the best place for footstraps and fin to feel the best control in very high wind conditions
Thanks
Lary
lary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

There are some general guidelines for "calming down" a board, like mast foot forward to push the nose down. But in practice, I feel that in super high wind in particular, the most important thing is to have a balanced stance on the board. So pushing the mast foot forward too much fx, might in fact hurt more.

But you can always try moving the footstraps a bit further forward, maybe move the mast foot a bit forward too and then test around a bit with fin positions to fins what feels the best.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 09:24 PM   #3
lary

Hi Ola
When i move the fin rear, the nose of the board seems to be higher. So i decide to place it in the middle of the box. It seems to be the best place, anyway there are not very much range of positions for fin.
Do you think the best fin wil be hard made or soft made to get best control when over powered?
Thanks
Lary
Old 31st August 2010, 09:42 PM   #4
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by lary View Post
Hi Ola
When i move the fin rear, the nose of the board seems to be higher. So i decide to place it in the middle of the box. It seems to be the best place, anyway there are not very much range of positions for fin.
Do you think the best fin wil be hard made or soft made to get best control when over powered?
Thanks
Lary
Hi Lary, what works for me with my Acid 74 is fin and straps forward. Having said that the Acid 74 has, for me, limits in confused choppy 4.2/3.7 and below conditions.The board is just too big and fast for my 70Kg. The Kode has a slightly smaller outline but under 4.2 a calmer board might be the trick.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 03:23 AM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

Yeah, I think you experienced that the most important thing is the balance. If the nose goes up, you probably went to far. It's tricky though, because with a higher boom and/or mast further forward you could maybe trim it back again. But my own take is more going with a trim one likes in normal conditions too. Then, in crazy stuff, you are at least used to how the board reacts.

It's also very personal how one achieves good control. Some like a calm board which takes some energy out of the hits. Some like a really small board that you can easier keep from getting blown around. Other like something more solid that you can load up with your back foot and rely on that it will not let go. The Acid is already a rather "directional board" so maybe a more "blasting" attitude is what will bring you the furthest into high wind territory. I think often we tend to hold back too much in high winds which makes things very difficult.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 04:56 AM   #6
lary

Hi Davide
it seems that i have the same feeling of you when i use 4,3 in choppy conditions and over powered. I'm 90 kg and i was thinking that kode 74 was the ultimate board for 50 knots conditions. But it bounces all goes and is very hard to keep flat. It works better with 4,7 in sweeter conditions of wind and chops. I will try to put fin and straps forward as on your Acid, and perhaps the mast foot a little forward too.
Thanks
Old 5th September 2010, 07:44 PM   #7
dan e

I have the Kode 74. I'm 150 lbs, 5'11 Its my high wind board. I've used it in 40+ wind and crazy chop here in coyote point, san francisco bay area. Its very smooth.

3.5, 4.0m sail/ 21 cm fin.
Mast track/ fin box = center
front strap = center hole
back strap = front hole
boom height = 55-56 inches
harness line length = 28-30 inches

Dan
Kode 74, 86
Futura 93
Isonic 133, 101, 86
dan e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 10:37 PM   #8
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan e View Post
I have the Kode 74. I'm 150 lbs, 5'11 Its my high wind board. I've used it in 40+ wind and crazy chop here in coyote point, san francisco bay area. Its very smooth.

3.5, 4.0m sail/ 21 cm fin.
Mast track/ fin box = center
front strap = center hole
back strap = front hole
boom height = 55-56 inches
harness line length = 28-30 inches
Hi Dan. It might be partly skill, as Ola suggests, and partly that the Kode is actually more compact than the Acid 74. It is 5 cm shorter, and a bit less wide with a slighlty narrower tail, it might be all it takes to make it less cumbersome in high wind. For me the Acid becomes an handful in the very vertical chop that develops at Candlestick and Crissy in overpowered 3.7.

Last edited by davide; 6th September 2010 at 11:28 PM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 05:49 AM   #9
marksw

Davide, if you are 70 kilos and riding a A74 in 3.7 you need a much smaller board: 60 - 65 litres
marksw is offline   Reply With Quote