Old 27th August 2010, 03:49 AM   #1
jary

Talking Evil Twin 80 vs Kode 80

Hello
I want to bye a new board to be able to windsurf in harder wind and smaller waves (3-4 meters high). I am a medium advansed rider.
I have a Kode 103 2010 model and I really love this board..
I can get the Evil Twin wood/carbon 2009 model for half the price comparing to a Kode 80 wood/carbon 2010 model.
What should I do? Is the Evil Twin 80 a better wave-board comparing with Kode 80?
Is Evil Twin 80 harder to ride comparing with Kode 80?

Need an answer!

Regards
Jacob
jary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

I don't think the Evil Twin is a particularly hard board to ride. It takes a certain care to go upwind as well as a board like the Kode 80. But once on a wave and in wave riding, I'd say that you will in most situation have an easier time on the ET80, especially if you don't have clean fast sideshore conditions.

One thing to remember is that in practice, the ET80 is "one size" bigger than the Kode 80. ET 74 would be more comparable in size. You could say that the ET80 is rather big as far as 80 liter boards go while the Kode 80 is rather small as far a 80 liter boards go. What do you weight and what sail sizes are you looking to use. Your dealer don't happen to have an ET74 by any chance? If your not over 80 kilos, I'd say that may be a better size.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 02:14 AM   #3
jary

Smile

Ola_H
Thank you for your answer!

My weight is 75 kg and I will combine the new board with severne Gator 4,7 and Gator 5,5 m2.

Is Evil Twin 80 faster than Kode 80?

Conserning the fact that the ET80 is "one size" bigger than the Kode 80,- how will you compare ET 80 with Kode 86?
Will this two boards (ET 80 and Kode 86) have about the same size in practice?

I only have one Naish Firestick 370 (RDM) mast and one Severne Blueline 430 (SDM) mast.
What mast should I use for Gator 4,7?
Naish Firestick 370 or Severne Blueline 430?

Regards
Jacob
Old 28th August 2010, 06:47 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

No Kode is a faster board than the ET.

Kode 86 and ET 80 is not so easily comparable since the Kode in that size moves towards being more of a freewave board than a pure waveboard. But roughly speaking I'd say the Kode 86 is still a bit bigger feeling than the ET80 (ie the Kode 86 will for example carry bigger sails and be less controllable with smaller sails).

If you're 75 kilos I would surely recommend the ET74, The ET80 would work too but will start to feel big with a powered up 4.7. The Kode 80 pretty much has a sweet spot around 4.7-5.5 at your weight.

Masts: I don't know the Severne sails that well. What's the luff length on the 4.7? If you can get it to work in the Gator 4.7 without to much extension, I reckon this will be much better than the sdm 430.
Old 29th August 2010, 06:06 PM   #5
jary

Ola_H
Thank you again for your answer!
What is the sweet spot for Evil Twin 80 for a surfer with my weight (75 kg)?
I think the Gator 4,7 has a luff length wich is 418 cm. Will you still recomend Naish Firestick 370 (RDM)?
And a very last question Ola_H:
What would you say is the main difference between a freewave board and a pure waveboar?

Regards
Jacob
Old 30th August 2010, 03:06 AM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

418 is certianly boarderline. Not many extension in that length around. I really do think you should look for a (used?) 400 mast.

ET80 Sweet spot at 75kg: It depends on the waves and such but lets say not too powered up 5.0 to 5.8. Of course you can go outside that but it will not be as sweet... In my experience, when you go outside of a certain "ideal" board size, fx go for a bigger board, the total range gets smaller. Ie a bigger board will extend the light wind range a little, but the high wind range will take a bigger hit.

Freewave vs wave: It wil depend on which boards. But Kode 86 comparatively speaking has a significantly wider tail (and a bit wider nose too) than the Kode 80. Rocker is sort of similar. Effectively, th 86 will (relative its size) plane a bit earlier, go a bit better upwind at slow speeds, take a bigger sail and for straight line sailing the downsise in high wind control is rather small. But once on a wave, the llow speed range will be a litle bit improved but the high speed range (ie control and ease of turning in proper wind or on a proper wave) will take a bigger hit. So an easy way of putting it is that while the general feel is kind of similar, the straight line sailing range is bigger in a board like the K86 (fsw) but the wave sailing range is smaller compared to a similar sized pure wave board (ie compared to how a kode 80 blown up to 86 liters would work).

You mentioned 3-4m waves and 4.7-5.5. I would say that it you have intentions on not only ride in and out and do some jumping but also ride the waves, I think the Kode 86 will be to big. ET 80 is better. Still a bit of handfull for the "best" days but certainly easier to turn. ET74 would cover you perfectly and it would be awesome for improving the wave riding. Turny but still very stable. Kode 80 will handle the sail sizes too and be sick for powered up blasting in the waves. A true gem at wave riding too, but it need slightly more sailor input to rip it up in less than perfect conditions.
Old 1st September 2010, 01:24 AM   #7
jary

Thank you for your all your answers Ola_H,- they have been great help for me!
I think I will go for ET74 or ET80,- looking foreward to get a new board!!
And I will follow your advise and bye a new 400 mast for my 4,2 sail...
Wish you all the best and a lot of good late-summer-surfing!

Regards
Jacob from Norway
Old 15th September 2010, 04:20 AM   #8
Jamu

I have ET80 and I'm 73kg. I use 5.3 and 5.8 sails with ET80. When wind gets higher, I'll swap Evo70 and smaller sail. I have tried 4.7 with ET in chop conditions. It's OK but I rather take Evo because it handles much better bottom turns in choppy.
I have also tested my friends ET74 which is near my Evo. So if you have smaller sails and skills, I recommend ET74. But I don't think it will manage 5.5 sail.
Jamu is offline   Reply With Quote