Old 20th September 2010, 02:54 PM   #1
grace

Default Please, help!

I left my board under the sun for a couple of days and it's swollen ¿what may happen now? ¿have I spoil it? ¿will it break?
Thank you for the replies
grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 04:51 PM   #2
Farlo

Hello Grace, I guess you let the vent closed as well. The swelling indicates that the skin separated from the foam to some extend. It might be possible to fill-in some resin depending how big is the damage. What kind of board/technology is it?
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 05:04 PM   #3
grace

It's a Formula from 2001, thank you for replying,
Old 20th September 2010, 05:17 PM   #4
grace

I forgot to say its D-Ram technology, not the wood one
Old 21st September 2010, 04:02 PM   #5
Farlo

How big is the swelling? Is it across the whole deck or just around vent/mast track?
Old 21st September 2010, 07:52 PM   #6
grace

Well, I don't really know, I have noticed that it has swollen because it's a bit difficult to put the fin like if the slot had shrunk, the look of the board it's the same, it's quite a big board so
I can't really see the difference but the fin box is definitely smaller.
Thank you for your help, I am really upset at what I have done, I love that board and I don't know if I will be able to find another one. Now I don't know if I can use it as normal or if its going to split any time.
Old 21st September 2010, 09:47 PM   #7
Farlo

Well I'm not sure the finbox has to do with that. If you let the board under the sun with vent open there should be no damage. Otherwise you may notice some areas where the skin is loose. Can you bring it to a shop before sailing again?
Old 21st September 2010, 11:51 PM   #8
grace

No, I did't take the vent off, that's why I am worried, I have asked in other forums and everybody says that the board is dead. I have also sent an email to the starboard team but they have not reply yet, and don't know if they will.
Thank you Farlo
Old 22nd September 2010, 10:11 AM   #9
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Grace,
Have you opened the vent at all?
How warm was the temperature when you left it in the sun?
If it delaminated due to internal pressure, you would see fairly large areas that are curved/bubbled (blown up
away from the core foam) relative to the surrounding areas of the board.
The fin box is a very thick carbon fiber reinforced part, that is set into the board and bonded to the foam core and to both the upper and lower skins of the board.
It's very doubtful that you could build up enough pressure to collapse the fin box, even if there was
enough internal pressure to delam the skin from the core foam.
If the temperature was not more than say 85 deg. F ( 29.4 deg. C) there is very little likelyhood that you
delaminated the skin from the core.
Are you sure that your fin fit nicely before this incident.
Try a bar of soap (bath soap) rubbed all over the fin head (the part that goes in the fin box in your board)
and it may slide in much more easily.
Normally, you have to leave your board locked inside a closed vehicle where the temps go well above 120 deg. F ( 49 deg. C) to get a modern sandwich board to delaminate.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 01:40 AM   #10
grace

Hi Roger,

When I left it under the sun I didn't open the vent, I guess that as cannot know what's going on inside the board I will have to wait and see what happens, it's a second hand board and don't know what the previous owner did with it, it may have had some water inside, it may be half rotten...don't know, I am looking for the same board just in case this one breaks, It's a great board for me because it goes well with small sails and it's not as difficult to carry as the new Formula boards (I am 5'2) that are made for really big sails.. I have tried putting the fin in the finbox with some soap and it's slightly easier than before.
Thank you for your help, I really appreciate your replies.