Old 22nd August 2006, 03:41 PM   #1
EBL

Default What planes faster...?

Hi,
My wife has progressed quite rapidly on her GO170 and I have a question. If we dont want to buy a bigger sail than the 7,5 we have now, will she plane faster if we trade in the Go170 to a carve 145 or a GO 139? She weighs 62kgs and is capable of sailing in the harnes and the front foot strap.
I have read several places that the reduction of surface in contact with the water plays a role when getting planing, and since she is quite ligth and does not need the 170 liters or 90cm of width I hope she migt get plaing with less effort and perhaps have more fun on a slightly smaler board.

Br
Erling
EBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 11:55 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: What planes faster...?

Hi Erling,
I would agree, with a 7.5 m2 rig your wife might get a smaller board going at less windspeed due to her light weight now that she has skills.
I can't say whick would be better the GO 139 or the Carve 145, but does she want to sail in more wind, or just be the earliest planing woman on the water.
If she wants early planing, then the GO 139 would be a good choice.
If she wants a bit more higher wind range, then I think a Carve 122 (or perhaps the 133) would be a better choice and not really affect her early planing, on a 7.5 m2 rig as much as you might think.
What windspeed does she get planing, on the 7.5 m2 now?
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 12:20 PM   #3
EBL

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your fast reply. I think she needs 6-7meters pr second of wind to get planing. She still has a lot to learn about early planing, but I think a board that gives less resistance might help.

It's the early planing she's after. When we go sailing together and I'm on my 114liter board I'm usualy planing before here even thoug I use a smaller sail than she does(if I use a 6,2 and she's on a 6,6). It seems to me that she has to use a lot of effort to get the board planing with the sails we have at our disposal.

So our main objective is to get planing with as little effort as possible. The second goal is also to get a board that is a bit more responsive to foot stearing when she gets planing, but still has good stability.

Best regards
Erling
Old 24th August 2006, 02:55 AM   #4
MA_Pete

Erling:

Roger is certainly the expert in this category, so please listen to him first. But I thought I'd chime in here since I sailed the GO 139 a lot this year. I am fairly light guy at 72 kg, just a little heavier than your wife. I used 8.5/7.3 mostly with the GO 139 and found it to be an early/easy planer. I also used it successfully with sails as small as 6.0/5.4. So not a bad choice.

I have the Carve 122 as well, and find it needs to really be lit up to plane, and it is more of a "traditional" feel to get on plane (versus her GO 170) where you have to let the board get on plane out of the straps (versus being able to have the front foot in on a wide board) and only move back once the board is at speed and the fin has "grab". I would bet (and have read in tests) that the Carve 144 is much like that versus the Carve 121. But at 78 cm wide, I would bet the Carve 144 planes up almost as early as the GO 139, just with a little more technique required.

I would also consider the F-Type 138 for her. I have the 148, and sail it mostly with 9.5/8.5, sometimes 7.3. That thing is an early planing machine! With her small size and likely smaller sails, the 138 might be better for her (88 cm wide versus 96) (for 2007 it is now the iSonic 145). It requires a more technique (a little pumping and awareness to what is going on), but will plane way earlier IMO versus a GO 139 and any Carve. Because of the width it doesn't like heavy chop as much as a narrower board, but my F-Type 148 isn't that much worse in chop that the GO 139. If chop is a problem you typically need to be on something 70 cm or less or even 65 cm or less wide.

At 222 cm short, the F-Type is also more sensitive to front/rear foot placement, but after getting used to it it is no problem.

I think the F-Type 138 would probably match up well with the 6.6 and 7.5 sizes you mention above, and could take an 8.5 for even earlier planing if she wanted to.

I sold my GO 139 and now have the F-Type 148, iSonic 125, and Carve 121, and quite frankly I sail my F-Type 90% of the time as it is in 7.3/8.5/9.5 conditions, flat water to mild chop, and I just love that board.

So the net is, based on what you describe, I would suggest you consider in this order:

1. F-Type 138 (2006) /iSonic 145 (2007)
2. GO 139
3. Carve 144

My other comment is with regards to your comment:

"The second goal is also to get a board that is a bit more responsive to foot steering when she gets planing, but still has good stability."

Stability rank will be F-Type 138 (due to the width, once you get used to the shorter length), then GO 139, then Carve 144, but foot-steering and manuerability/jibing will be the opposite order with the Carve on top, so that complicates matters a bit and maybe pushes you back to the GO 139 and Carve 144 as the top contenders...

The bonus of the F-Type is if you are an more advanced sailor you might steal it from her on lighter days and have a blast on it!

Good luck with your choice...

-Pete
MA_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 03:05 AM   #5
MA_Pete

Erling:

I will also add that she will need to get the rear foot into the strap to make the F-Type "work" well.

But it does have an inner step of strap holes, which I used for a while when I first got the board and was trying to figure it out and get used to it.

BTW I just started shortboarding last year, and went from a Start to the F-Type (similar to her GO at 90 cm wide). Remembering that transition myself, going to a GO 139 would probably being the easiest transition for her, but going to the F-Type or Carve would push her to progress more if you think she is capable of it. (It did push me to progress, but was tougher at first.)

If you want her to be able to just leisurely plane around in the front strap only, and work her way up to getting in the back strap, then maybe the GO or Carve is a better choice.

-Pete

-Pete
MA_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 02:08 PM   #6
EBL

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your input. I guess the Go139 seems to be the most sensible choice for now.

Br
Erling
Old 25th August 2006, 09:44 AM   #7
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg

I recently got a go 139 and can get it planing with a 6.6 metre sail in about 6-7 knots. I hang a lot of my weight on the boom while being neer the mast base and then pump. I get going then move back making sure not to push down on either rail. The go 139 also comes with a 480 fin as well as a beginner 410 fin. I am a sailer who has sailed 8 times and for my eigth time my cousins were up at my trailer and they wanted to see me go. there was around 5 knots so I went out. I practiced some flip 360s and sail body 360s and then the wind picked up a bit to around 6 knots gusting to 8 at the most. I could get planing easily with the go. This time was my first time to also use the gos 480 race fin. What a difference!!!!!!! I could plane way eisier. I am thinking of getting a 50 cm fin or maybe a 54 cm fin to get planing even earlier.

I suggest the go 139 more than anything as I am 16 and way 130 pounds (57 kg i think) with the tufskin and the two fins it is a great board to get planing in light winds. Think of the winds I could get planing in with a 9.0!

I might even go with the 2006 model. That is the one I got and they say they didn't really change it that much. I have used it with a 5.0 and 6.6 metre sail. In around 17-20 knots mostly. Its a fun board which as the website says, jibes really well too.

Hope this helps,

Thomas
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote