Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 28th September 2010, 01:59 AM   #1
BelSkorpio

Default High wind board advice wanted - IS86/K86/FU93 ?

Hello there,

I have been surfing for 1 season with the IS101/2009 and it pleases me a lot. Best board I ever had.

I'm looking now for an extra high wind board, i.e. for 25+ knots. Please advice.

My weight: 86 kg
Planned sail range to use on it: 4 - 6 m2

At the moment I still have a classic old school 85L Naish wave board for these conditions, but I'm rarely into waves anymore.
So I would like to change for something "up to speed".

I was considering the following boards, but want a 1 board solution:

- Isonic 86
- Kode 86
- Futura 93

Most of the time ( > 90%) I'm on fairly flat water, i.e. lakes next to the sea.
Sometimes it can get quite choppy, especially in the high wind conditions.
The wind is often rather stable with not too many lulls.

Because I would still like to try the board from time to time ( < 10%) also on the sea and because I have a lot of older wave oriented sails in the range of 4 to 6 m2, I thought of the Kode 86.

Later on I realized that in fact I like too much speed and that perhaps the Isonic 86 would also be capable of handling a wavy bump & jump sea if it had to. Is it possible to jump with an Isonic 86 if necessary ? Is it strong enough to resist the hard landings ? I'm not talking killer loops, I want to survive
On the flatter waters, I have no doubt, and I would immediately choose the Isonic 86. I would have to buy more race oriented full cambered sails, no problem. I see that the sail range of an isonic 86 starts from 5 m2. Logically, because that's about the smallest race sail you can get. But what about a 4m2 wave/freestyle sail? Impossible to use on a IS86 ? How would it feel ? Again it would not be my main concern, but just if ...

Then last but not least, I had a look at the futura series. At first glance, the futura seems to be the golden melange of the Kode & Isonic. YET, the smallest size available is the futura 93. Why ? Why isn't there a futura 86 for example ? Would it be too similar to a Kode 86 or to an Isonic 86 ?

Well Remi, I hope you find some time to answer some of my questions and to give me good advice.

Everyone please feel free to comment.

Cheers.

Last edited by BelSkorpio; 1st October 2010 at 02:03 AM.
BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 02:57 AM   #2
BelSkorpio

No one any comments ?
Old 2nd October 2010, 11:53 AM   #3
Maximus

Hey

Lots of questions, sounds like your in a wee bit of a pickle trying to make your mind up.

The I86 is a great board, will be lots of fun with a 6.2 and 5.5, but you really need a race or free race sails. A wave sail wont supply enough mast foot pressure to hold it down in high wind, so forget that idea. As for jumping it, you can, but it may not last all that long.

F93 is also a great board and almost as quick as I86, will definately be a smoother ride through the chop, and easier to handle sailing in the bay. Again best suited to freerace or freeride sails.

I havent sailed the Kode86, however this will give a bit of everything and may be the way to go if your still keen to jump and keep a small wave sail.

IMHO I would go I101, I86 and grab a cheap Acid for those high wind bump and jump days.

Isonic 97 2013
JP Speed 50 2014

Severne Reflex 4 7.0,6.2,5.6
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 05:45 PM   #4
BelSkorpio

Thanks, Maximus.

Do you have any idea why the F93 will have a smoother ride through chop c/w the I86 ?
The IS has a smaller width, also in the tail. What other shape differences could cause this easier ride ? Is it the Flat Vee to double concave ? Or are there big differences in the rockerlines ?

Still don't understand why there is no smaller size than a F93.
Old 4th October 2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Maximus

If its small to medium chop then the F93 is a lot smoother. Most likely because it has more 'v' underneath, the board is thinner at the back, with thinner rails, so it gybes easier as well. If its very large chop then both boards will bounce around. Perhaps the edge going back to the I86, simply because its smaller as you say.

I had a F93 and then went to I86, as I found the Isonic more excitng to ride, the F93 was more on 'autopilot' so to speak.

As to a smaller Futura,, I would get one for sure if they made a 80-83 something litre. I would like 58cm wide and 35 tail! Now that would rock and roll in flat and choppy water! I think SB have forgetten about all the 60-70kg guys/gals as well who would like freerace blaster in 20-30knot+ conditions.

I know guys who are 65Kg and can struggle with the power tail of the I86/80 in windy conditions. They need tails in the 33-35cm range.

Isonic 97 2013
JP Speed 50 2014

Severne Reflex 4 7.0,6.2,5.6
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 02:56 AM   #6
hans kleingeld

Send a message via MSN to hans kleingeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
As to a smaller Futura,, I would get one for sure if they made a 80-83 something litre. I would like 58cm wide and 35 tail! Now that would rock and roll in flat and choppy water! I think SB have forgetten about all the 60-70kg guys/gals as well who would like freerace blaster in 20-30knot+ conditions.
That's exactly what I thought. I am 95-100 kg and surf the Fu93 in 20+ Kts conditions. For a light person I think the Fu93 will get planing in solid 4 Bft conditions with a 7.0. So with really strong winds and 5.5 mtr conditions a smaller board would have been a nice option.
hans kleingeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 06:01 AM   #7
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Belskorpio,

Just see now your post.

You have already the iSonic 101 that you want to keep and go for something who is fast and hi winds condition in flat water.

Th Futura 93 on flat water will not give you a big gap with the iSonic 101, this board will make the gap in choppy water to extreme choppy water.

So on my view better to go for the iSonic 87 or better the 80, so you can use very small sails. In speed and control you will be very happy and you can use Free Race sails to limit your budget.

Hope this help and if you have any other question let me know

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 01:12 PM   #8
kvda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans kleingeld View Post
That's exactly what I thought. I am 95-100 kg and surf the Fu93 in 20+ Kts conditions. For a light person I think the Fu93 will get planing in solid 4 Bft conditions with a 7.0. So with really strong winds and 5.5 mtr conditions a smaller board would have been a nice option.
made this suggestion to a few SB teamshapers like Sven about 2 years ago, and i've heard they tested a smaller futura. but they found it didnt add enough to the range ... too bad

s
kvda is offline   Reply With Quote