Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 29th September 2010, 12:19 AM   #1
john151

Default stripped thread 2010 quad

have 2010 quad and all 4 threads on screw holes for rear smaller fins have stripped. have tried the permatex stripped thread repair kit but it didnt adhere to the plastic

any other suggestions? thanks
john151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 03:15 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Was the permatex tube fresh? I heard it gets old real quick. And was the old threads cleaned with acetone?

Technically, I think the best long term solution might be a helicoil thread, but I don't know the correct type of thread and it can be a bit of a tricky job.

Is the board still under warranty?
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 05:13 AM   #3
john151

yeh tube was fresh, didnt clean with acetone, is that likely to make a difference?
unfortunately the board is a couple of weeks outside of the warranty.
john151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 02:05 AM   #4
Ray Timm

I fixed a stripped thread on the Quad with JB Weld. Cleaned the hole, filled with JB Weld, then I drilled it out and retapped it. So far still going strong after several months.
Ray Timm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 02:14 AM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

Hmm. A few weeks... I'd talk to the dealer.

And I'd also try the permatex again after sanding/filing the holes lightly and then cleaned with pure acetone.

If everything fails you still have options but it gets more complicated. One is simply replacing the boxes with regular fcs plugs or the fusion box. If you're handy you can do it yourself or otherwise andy surf or windsurf repair shop can handle it. Possible you could even get ahold of the new slot boxes and convert the board so that it can also be ridden as a twin, should you want that.

But try the simple (permatex again) solution first. I'll try to ask around and see if other have had this problem and how they solved it.

Good luck and keep in touch.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 03:36 PM   #6
jc4

I've got a 2010 quad with a stripped fcs fin hole, (read earlier post).
Haven't tried the permatex or jb weld products as I don't think they will last long. Such fine thread on the grub screws with metal to plastic is not such a good idea, especially if they are removed often.
The slot box is a much better idea.
I ended up using a slightly larger diameter grub screw with a wider thread. I drilled out the fcs fin box slightly and then tapped the hole.Seems to be working and the fin hasn't come loose as often.
Cheers
jc4 is offline   Reply With Quote