Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 23rd October 2010, 12:40 AM   #1
Barker

Default nose damage

I need some advice on some nose damage on a 2009 iSonic 101. The boards are seemless to the eye sprayed up and finished but are they actually constructed of 2 halves (hull, deck) joined together or are they made up as a single hollow moulded construction? The reason I ask is because I have what looks like a split seam on the nose, from a mast impact, exactly where a seam would be between hull and deck, in a straight line around the nose as a seam between hull and deck halves would be, about 15cm long. If is there a seam there and its split, then it needs some cloth wrapped from upper side to lower side to repair and prevent hull and deck separating from the nose. If the nose construction is genuinely moulded seamless then the damage line is less serious and may be a mere cosmetic issue. Under pressure of finger and thumb there's no evidence of a structural separation between top half and bottom half (i.e. you can't move the skins) but on visual inspection, and running a thumb along the line, that's exactly what looks to have happened and my fear is under heavier load it might start to open up. I'd be glad to hear from anyone who's been inside one of these boards or knows their construction. A secondary question is, if not a split seam, is it still water tight? Any comments gratefully received. Many thanks.
Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 03:58 AM   #2
kennatt

they are not two halves bonded together there are a molded construction go to( board lady )for good info on repair. One test is to suck on the damaged area if you can suck air out of the board then it will require work to repair the outer coating, if not then it is only the gel coat and can be simply filled with car type filler and sprayed over
kennatt is offline   Reply With Quote